Guava Turnovers (Pastelillos de Guayaba)

     When I was little girl one of my favorites desserts was Guava turnovers. In those days you could only have them at the bakery. I always remember the first time I stepped in "La Sol de Borinquen" (the name of my hometown bakery) I didn't know that many pastries and cakes existed. It was like a dream.
                         

                       
      Through the years as I learned more about baking, I began missing all the pastries from my childhood.  I decided to do some research to see if I could make some. One day I was looking in the freezer section of my local supermarket and I discovered puff pastry sheets and realized I could make my own Guava turnovers at home. I made the guava turnovers for my children, and they love them. The time doing research and experimenting was worth it, my price was to see my children smile. 
                    
Ingredients:

1 box puff pastry sheets
1/4 cup All-purpose flour, for dusting the work surface
Guava paste, cut in 1/2-inch square pieces
1 egg white, mix with 1 tablespoon of water

1 baking sheet covered with parchment paper

1/2 cup confectioner sugar

 Thaw the puff pastry sheets about 10 minutes (see note) at room temperature. Lightly sprinkle the work surface with flour and unfold the puff pastry. Lightly dust the rolling pin and roll over the dough a couple of times to smooth out the surface. Cut the dough into 3 x 3 inch squares.

Place a piece of guava paste in the center and lightly apply the egg wash on the edges of the pastry and seal with a fork. As you go place the pastries on a baking sheet and make a 1/4 inch slit on top of each pastry. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer for at least 1 hour or until ready to bake.

Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar and let cool at room temperature.

Note:

 The puff pastry might take more or less time than noted to defrost depending on the temperature of your kitchen. Do not let the dough defrost completely because it will be very difficult to work with it. I check my dough every 5 minutes and start working with it when I can unfold the pastry sheets.

Comments

aaronchow said…
That sounds delicious. I think I can do that! Thanks +mariarivera
Maria M. Rivera said…
Thanks so much for your kind comment Chef Chow!!

Surullitos fritos (corn sticks with cheese)

Surullitos fritos(corn sticks with cheese)

Vanilla Flan

Coquito Ice Cream