Mango Sherbet


     Mango is one of the fruits I grew up with. My favorite type was a mango we called mango largo "long mango." It is tangy and sweet and I liked it so much that I would eat a few at a time. 
     Between July and August you see mangoes everywhere in Puerto Rico especially in the town of Mayaguez that has also been called "The city of mango."  There are mangoes trees everywhere and in many places you can pick up the mangoes near the road and it doesn't cost you a cent.

     Here in Florida you find mangoes all year round but in summer time is when they are in season. Mangoes that are less fibrous are best to make this delicious and refreshing sherbet.



Ingredients:

3 ripe mangoes,peeled and dice

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
pinch of salt
1 cup heavy cream

In a small sauce pan at medium high heat add the water and sugar. Cook the mixture for about 2 minutes to make a simple syrup, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.




Add the diced mango into a blender and blend until very soft.








Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and discard the the solids.







The mixture going to look very soft and free of  fibers.








Add the simple syrup followed by the heavy cream  and mix well.







Transfer the mixture to a plastic container and cover with plastic wrap. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.






                                            

Churn in your ice cream maker according to the 
manufacturer's instructions.





        
Transfer the sherbet to a freezer proof container and freeze until it has firmed up to a desirable consistency.

Comments

Unknown said…
Mmm!!! looks delicious and easy to do it for a no-cooker like me. I'll try it on my vacations (we have mangoes in PR). I'll let you know, then. Ani
Unknown said…
Mmm!!! looks delicious and easy to do it for a no-cooker like me. I'll try it on my vacations (we have mangoes in PR). I'll let you know, then. Ani
Maria M. Rivera said…
That's great to hear Annie. Thanks for your comment and let me know how it turn out for you.

Surullitos fritos (corn sticks with cheese)

Surullitos fritos(corn sticks with cheese)

Vanilla Flan

Coquito Ice Cream