Strawberry jam


   A few years ago I went to a strawberry field and when I looked at the gorgeous strawberries I couldn't resist the temptation to buy more than I could usually eat. Until that moment I never thought of making jam but I decided to give it a try.

 I looked around the internet and I found a video that taught me the science of jam making. I was lucky enough to find this wonderful video by Sheila Black.  In her video she showed how to make old fashioned strawberry jam. 

This is my version of her recipe, but the video is still in Youtube in her son in law Brian Kelly's channel. Following her method I developed other jam recipes for my family such as apricot, raspberry, pineapple and orange.

                     
                   dessertsandgoodfood.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

4 cups strawberries
4 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Before you start put a small cold resistant plate in the freezer to test the jam.

Wash and dry the strawberries. Cut the tops and discard. Cut the strawberries in small dice.





      In a medium pot at medium high heat add the strawberries and 2 cups of sugar. 
      Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Skim the surface as needed.








  




After 10 minutes add the other 2 cups of sugar, lemon juice and butter. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for about 5 more minutes without stirring . Remove from the heat.

Drop a about 1 teaspoon of the Jam onto the cooled plated and place it in the freezer for a few minutes. Remove the plate from the freezer and then push against the side of the jam with your finger. If the jam wrinkles it is set.

Let the jam cool for about 10 minutes before pouring into the sterilized jars.

Note:

Place the jars in a canner and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes. Keep the jars in hot water. In a small pot place the screw bands and lids and cover them with water.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Keep in hot water until ready to use.

Comments

Surullitos fritos (corn sticks with cheese)

Surullitos fritos(corn sticks with cheese)

Vanilla Flan

Coquito Ice Cream