Canoas de Platano (Plantain Canoes)

     The other day I was looking in a box where I have all the recipes I been writing for many years. I found a folder with my plantain recipes and I thought it would be a good idea to share a recipe that uses ripe plantains. In this recipe you are going to learn how you can transform a plantain in a complete meal.

      The first recipe I want to share with you is called "Canoas de platano" (Plantains Canoes). This recipe is both savory and sweet due to the natural sweetness of ripe plantains. When you bite into it, your mouth will feel a myriad of flavors and textures.

                       
                               
Ingredients:

4 ripe plantains, peeled
1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese

 Stewed ground beef, refer to Stew ground beef recipe

Preheat the oven at 350°F

Make a long cut on the peel of the plantain. With the table knife push away the peel from the skin of the plantain.

Make a long cut on the top stopping 1/4 inch from the bottom.
Proceed to shape the plantain like it canoe.



To avoid overcooking the meat bake the plantain in oven first for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size and ripeness of the plantain.

Fill the plantain with the meat. Sprinkle the cheese over the meat and broil for about 3 minutes.

Serving suggestion:


In a bed of white rice or alone.

Note:

When you buy the ripe plantains for this recipe look for ones with yellow peels but firm to the touch.

In my original recipe I filled the plantain with the meat and
topped it with the cheese before baking. However, 30 minutes in the oven is too much for already cooked meat. That's why I decided to change my recipe a little bit.  Baking the plantains first allows the meat to remain flavorful and moist. 

Comments

Surullitos fritos (corn sticks with cheese)

Surullitos fritos(corn sticks with cheese)

Vanilla Flan

Coquito Ice Cream