Strawberry paste

       A few months ago I bought a guava paste to make some guava turnovers to share with my neighbor but she talk me she don't like to much the guava taste. Then she ask me if I can fill the turnovers with strawberry I felt disappointed but not defeated.
      When I go into my kitchen I start thinking if I can made that recipe with strawberries. When I was in middle school I take a class called domestic economy, where we learn making clothes and, how to cook. One of the recipe my teacher teach us was to make guava paste. I take the recipe and make a few changes and here is the recipe for make strawberry paste. Turn really good and I want to share the recipe with you.



Ingredients:

4 cups strawberry pulp
4 cups granulated sugar

1 8 x 8 glass pan
plastic wrapping paper

    Wash and dry the strawberries. Cut the tops and discard. Cut the strawberries in small  dices.
   In a medium pot add 1/4 cup of water and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. Add the strawberries, cover the pot and, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and in the same pot, with the potato masher, mash the strawberries. Strain it through a fine sieve. 



        In a medium saucepan add the sugar and the strawberry pulp. Mix well until combine. Turn the heat to high and, with the wooden spoon stir constantly back and forth in a stray line. When you passing the spoon through the bottom of the pot and, the spoon leaves a wide groove is a signal that is done. The mixture at this point should come away from the sides of the pot.

Take about 45 minutes.

   Immediately pour it into the glass pan, what has been moistened and drained of water. Wait for a few hours until the the mixture cools completely before trying to turn it, otherwise it can break.
   After it has cooled, run a thin knife around the edges and carefully turn the strawberry paste onto a serving plate. 

Serving suggestions:

Over small crackers with cheese, as appetizer

Filling for turnovers (pastelillos)


Comments

Surullitos fritos (corn sticks with cheese)

Surullitos fritos(corn sticks with cheese)

Vanilla Flan

Coquito Ice Cream